Marcus Aurelius – How to Play Badugi
He ruled the Roman empire for 19 years and was nicknamed “The-Wise”. He would have torn your home game up! He didn’t play Badugi but he has given us some valuable poker lessons.
Here are some of his quotes and we can apply them to the poker table.
- You have power over your mind – not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength – Marcus Aurelius
You can’t control the cards. The only thing you have control over at the poker table is yourself.
- Confine yourself to the present – Marcus Aurelius
Focus your energy on your current hand. Thinking about the bad beat you just took is wasting brainpower, it’s in the past and there is nothing you can do to change it. If you could master this philosophy you would never tilt and you would be able to think clearly all the time.
- Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth – Marcus Aurelius
Beware of deception. You are being told a story, do you believe it?
- I have often wondered how it is that every man loves himself more than all the rest of men, but yet sets less value on his own opinions of himself than on the opinions of others - Marcus Aurelius
Who is your greatest foe at the poker table? You are. Don’t let your ego get in the way of your poker decisions, do not be afraid to back up your feeling with your chips.
- The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane – Marcus Aurelius
The object of POKER is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
- Despise not death, but welcome it, for nature wills it like all else – Marcus Aurelius
This applies more to Tournament play than cash games. Do not be afraid to bust out if you find a good situation to put your chips in the middle.
Next Article >> How to play 459Q from the button by Julias Ceasar.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.